Congratulations Pastor Turner – Clergy of the Year 2012
About Pastor Robert Turner
Hi, I'm Robert Turner and I'm the Senior Pastor of St John Baptist Church. I am primarily responsible for providing the visionary leadership for the church, caring for the congregation, serving as a change agent in the community, and preaching/teaching on Sunday mornings. One of the things I love about preaching is bringing a fresh perspective on basic truths. I also love working with a talented staff and remarkable volunteer leaders. My passion is to see people become all that God created them to be.
My wife Kimberly and I were married on September 12, 1998. We met in a restaurant in Baltimore’s Inner harbor and for me it was love at first sight. We have one son, Joshua, born in November of 1999 and one daughter, Jessica, born in July 2003.
My love for Columbia, Maryland began in 1993 when I visited here as a guest preacher and pastoral candidate at St John. Little did I know that a few months later God would lead the congregation to call me as their pastor.
Birthday: November 2nd
Education: B.S. in Political Science from Boston University; Masters of Divinity (M.Div.) from Gordon Conwell Theological School; Doctor of Ministry from New York Theological School focusing on church based community development.
Interests and Favorites
- Color: Purple
- Vacation Spot: Maui, HI and Disneyland
- What's on your iPod: Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Jackson 5
- Books: Anything on Leadership or Theology
- What do you TiVo: X Factor, Anderson Cooper 360 & Wrestling
- Sport Teams: I'll go with The Patriots and the Cowboys, but I also support my son’s favorite team, the Baltimore Ravens!
- Movies: Anything with action, suspense and scarey
- Hobbies: Travel, run marathons
- Dislikes: Prejudice in all forms
- Admire the Most: My parents, the late Dea. & Rev. Robert & Mary Turner
- Bible Verse: Philippians 4:13
- Life Scripture: "And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice - the kind he will accept. When you think of what he has done for you, is this too much to ask? Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is." - Romans 12:1-2